London Gardens Online
Select by type
London Gardens Online

SITE DETAILS

Edgwarebury Park Barnet
   

Edgwarebury Park

Edgwarebury Park, October 2000. Photo: S Williams

> Enlarge picture
The land for the park was purchased in two parts in 1929 and 1932 by Hendon Rural District Council and Middlesex County Council, and it opened in 1932. The site was formerly within the Manor of Earlsbury and once owned by All Saints College, Oxford. Evidence of the older landscape of fields and woodland remains, in addition to more recent planting of trees and formal and informal garden areas. A rose garden was created in 1952, refurbished in c.2006. There are extensive sports facilities.
   
Previous / Other name: Edgwarebury Open Space
Site location: Edgware Way/Parkside Drive/Edgwarebury Lane
Postcode: HA8 8QP
Type of site: Public Park 
Date(s): 1929-32
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
Borough: Barnet
Site ownership: LB Barnet
Site management: Leisure and Youth Services, Green Spaces Division/Friends of Edgwarebury Park
Open to public? Yes
Opening times: 8am - dusk
Special conditions: no cycling
Facilities: Multi-sports court, pavilion, football and cricket pitches, tennis courts, play area, toilets
Events:
Public transport: Tube: Edgware (Northern) then bus. Bus: 107, 113, 142, 186, 288.
Edgwarebury Park, October 2000. Photo: S Williams
> Enlarge
Edgwarebury Park, October 2000. Photo: S Williams
> Enlarge
> Enlarge
Edgwarebury Park, October 2000. Photo: S Williams
> Enlarge
Edgwarebury Park, Rose garden, photograph,  1989. Courtesy of Barnet Local Studies & Archives
> Enlarge
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/10/2000
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.barnet.gov.uk

Fuller information:

In 1929 and 1932 Hendon Rural District Council and Middlesex County Council purchased land for this public park in two parts. It was laid out at a cost of 7,000 and opened in 1932. The site was once within the Manor of Earlsbury, which dated from at least the early C13th. It was part of land held by All Souls College, Oxford, and shown on a plan of 1599 as 'Edgewere Woods'. Adjoining, and to the south-west, is a portion of land known locally as the Edgware Roughs on which are the remaining brick piles of what was intended as a railway connecting Edgware to Bushy, with a station called Brockley Hill. Nearby is Edgwarebury Cemetery (q.v.). The park remains on the edge of the built-up area, and meets the countryside. To the south of the park, the land slopes towards the Edgwarebury Brook. Within the park is evidence of the former landscape of fields and woodland, with mature trees such as oak and ash, and remnants of old hedgerows. There are also ornamental trees of more recent planting and the central area of the park has extensive formal and informal garden areas, including a rose garden laid out in 1952, refurbished c2006. One garden has scented plants with rosemary, catmint and other aromatic species, designed for partially sighted visitors. There are extensive sports facilities in the park. Planting projects have been undertaken here, such as an area of native species of trees created in conjunction with Watling Chase Community Forest Scheme. The park received a Green Flag Award in 2008.

Sources consulted:

Jan Hewlett, Ian Yarham, David Curson, 'Nature Conservation in Barnet' (London Ecology Unit, 1997). Barnet Online.
Grid ref: TQ189932
Size in hectares: 16.11
   
On EH National Register : No
EH grade :
Site on EH Heritage at Risk list:
Registered common or village green
on Commons Registration Act 1965:
No
Protected under London Squares
Preservation Act 1931:
No
 
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
On Local List:
In Conservation Area: No
Conservation Area name:
Tree Preservation Order: Not known
Nature Conservation Area: Yes - Local Importance
Green Belt: Yes
Metropolitan Open Land: No
Special Policy Area: Yes - Area of Special Archaeological Significance
Other LA designation: Premier Park. Heritage Land (part)
   

| Page Top |

Discover. Visit. Research. Explore.
< Back