London Gardens Online
Select by type
London Gardens Online

SITE DETAILS

Bedfont Lakes Country Park Hounslow
   

Bedfont Lakes Country Park

> Enlarge picture
Although Bedfont Lakes Country Park opened as a new park in 1995, laid out on a former contaminated landfill site, in the 1890s the area was part of a large orchard that supplied Covent Garden. Part of the area was also used for gravel extraction from the 1860s until the 1950s. An oak tree was planted on 5 November 1996 near Motte Lake to the north of the park to commemorate it being handed over to LB Hounslow by Hanover Property Unit Trust and Rutland Management Ltd.
   
Previous / Other name:
Site location: Bedfont Road, Clockhouse Lane
Postcode: TW14 8QA
Type of site: Public Open Land 
Date(s): 1995
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
Borough: Hounslow
Site ownership: LB Hounslow
Site management: John Laing Integrated Services; Friends of Bedfont Lakes
Open to public? Yes
Opening times: 8am - dusk (closed Xmas Day)
Special conditions:
Facilities: Car park, toilets, fishing, nature reserve, trim trail, information centre, children's playground, dog exercise area
Events: Nature trail; regular events including country fair
Public transport: Rail: Ashford, Feltham then bus. Tube: Hatton Cross, Heathrow Terminal 4 (Piccadilly) then bus. Bus H26, 116
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/03/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.hounslow.gov.uk

Fuller information:

The land here was once owned by the Duke of St Albans that was leased out for farming. In 1780 William Sherborn of Bedfont purchased Fawn's Manor Farm, and it was his grandson, also William, who planted the orchard here in c.1897 on what is now the south side of the country park. This was one of a number of orchards and local farms in the area that supplied London with produce up until the 1920s, and a few old apple and pear trees still survive in the country park. Gravel extraction took place here from the mid 1860s, with a small quarry located at what is today the north end of North Lake, adjacent to Clockhouse Lane; Finger Island next to Black Hide formed the southern boundary. From the 1930s the site was worked for sand and gravel extraction for new housing and road building but this ceased in the 1950s and it was then used as a landfill site for domestic and industrial refuse. At one time described as the largest pile of rubbish in Europe, it ceased to be used in 1973, but polluted lakes, derelict buildings and machinery remained on the land. In 1988 Hounslow Council granted planning permission for the surrounding industrial developments and negotiated with the developers for the creation of a country park.

Bedfont Lakes Country Park has been developed as a water-focused nature reserve, the lakes created from the former waste tip, and it has grassland and woodland, with paths throughout. It gained Nature Reserve status in 2000 and has won a number of national and regional awards including Green Flag Awards since 1999, a Millennium Marque and the London in Bloom Wildflower and Environment Trophy.

Sources consulted:

David Pape, 'Nature Conservation in Hounslow' Ecology Handbook 15, London Ecology Unit, 1990
Grid ref: TQ085729
Size in hectares: 72.5
   
On EH National Register : No
EH grade :
Site on EH Heritage at Risk list:
Registered common or village green
on Commons Registration Act 1965:
No
Protected under London Squares
Preservation Act 1931:
No
 
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
On Local List:
In Conservation Area: No
Conservation Area name:
Tree Preservation Order: No
Nature Conservation Area: Yes - Metropolitan Importance (part)
Green Belt: Yes
Metropolitan Open Land: No
Special Policy Area: Yes - Feltham and Brentford SEB
Other LA designation:
   

| Page Top |

Discover. Visit. Research. Explore.
< Back