London Gardens Online
Select by type
London Gardens Online

SITE DETAILS

Morden Park Merton
   

Morden Park

> Enlarge picture
Morden Park was formerly a deer park within the Morden Hall estate. In the C18th part of the manor lands were leased to John Ewart who built a house here called Morden Park. The estate was later reunited when Gilliat Hatfeild who had already purchased Morden Hall, purchased Morden Park. In 1945 Morden Park was purchased by Merton and Morden UDC, the house becoming council offices and 90 acres of grounds preserved as public open space. Features include remains of a crinkle-crankle wall, two outhouses reputedly used for deer, remnants of planting and a mound believed to be a Romano-British burial mound. Recent amenities include an open-air theatre. A large part of the park was designated as a local nature reserve in 2000.
   
Previous / Other name:
Site location: Epsom Road/ Morden Lane/London Road, Morden
Postcode: SM4
Type of site: Public Park 
Date(s): 1770; 1945
Designer(s):
Listed structures: LBII*: Morden Park including walls and pair of circular garden buildings. SAM: Mound
Borough: Merton
Site ownership: LB Merton (part leased by London Playing Fields Association)
Site management: Leisure and Culture Services
Open to public? Yes
Opening times: unrestricted
Special conditions: Model aircraft are permitted within a designated zone
Facilities: Playground, paddling pool, football and cricket pitches, outdoor gym; pitch and putt accessed from adjacent leisure centre; car park, toilets
Events:
Public transport: Rail: Morden South, St Helier. Bus: 80, 93, 154, 293.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/06/2011
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.merton.gov.uk/environment/openspaces/parks/parks_in_the_morden_area

Fuller information:

Formerly part of the Morden Park Estate and once a deer park originally within the Manor of Morden's Morden Hall estate, which was owned from C16th-C18th by the Garth family. In the C18th part of the manor lands were leased to London merchant and distiller John Ewart who built a house here in 1770, Morden Park, where he lived until 1788 after which the Morden Park estate passed through a number of different owners, eventually purchased by Gilliat Hatfeild who had already purchased Morden Hall, thus reuniting the two estates.

In 1945 Morden Park was purchased from the Hatfeild family by Merton and Morden Urban District Council and the house and 90 acres were preserved as public open space, the house now council offices. Behind the house is a courtyard and the remains of a crinkle-crankle wall. Two round single-storey outhouses were reputedly where deer slept in the winter. The courtyard used to have 8 chestnut trees and a well, with a fig tree near the house. The walled garden is no longer in existence but one or two trees, including a large pear tree, may be a remnant of planting. The park consists of extensive parkland with mature trees grouped in copses and a continuous belt around the edges. A distinctive 40 ft mound within the park situated within woodland is believed to be a Romano-British burial mound, once used as a base for a summer house. A railed area is the site of an old velodrome. Among amenities added to the public park is an open air theatre with hedged enclosure. Part of the area is leased to the London Playing Fields Association. Trees for Cities, in partnership with Merton Council, have produced education packs for schools, and also installed interpretative boards with information about the park's history, archaeology and ecology.

Sources consulted:

Pevsner London 2: South; Evelyn Jowett, 'An Illustrated History of Merton and Morden', Merton and Morden Festival of Britain Local Committee, 1951; Ian Yarham, Dave Dawson, Martin Boyle, Rebecca Holliday 'Nature Conservation in Merton, Ecology Handbook 29', London Ecology Unit, 1998; Alan Scott & Barry Nicholson for LB Merton 'Morden Park Management Plan' (2000)
Grid ref: TQ245675
Size in hectares: 39.66
   
On EH National Register : No
EH grade :
Site on EH Heritage at Risk list:
Registered common or village green
on Commons Registration Act 1965:
No
Protected under London Squares
Preservation Act 1931:
No
 
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
On Local List:
In Conservation Area: Yes
Conservation Area name: Upper Morden
Tree Preservation Order: No
Nature Conservation Area: Yes - Borough Importance II
Green Belt: No
Metropolitan Open Land: Yes
Special Policy Area: Yes - Archaeological Priority Zone (part)
Other LA designation: Local Nature Reserve. Public Open Space. Green Corridor
   

| Page Top |

Discover. Visit. Research. Explore.
< Back