London Gardens Online
Record
London Gardens Online

SITE DETAILS

St Chad's Park Barking & Dagenham

Summary

The origins of St Chad’s Park date from 1831 when 4 acres of Chadwell Heath were given to the Parish Council as allotments for the poor; a further 3 acres were set aside for public use in 1866 as part compensation to the parish when the Heath was enclosed. In 1928 the Council added 34 acres, formerly part of Blackbush Farm. In the 1930s the northern area was laid out as public open space, with the southern part containing tennis courts, putting green, formal planting and paths. An alley of plane trees lines the main path through the park. A new children’s playground and a golf course were added in 1955 and a new bowling green inaugurated in May 1956.

Basic Details

Previous / Other name:
Chadwell Heath

Site location:
Japan Road, off High Road, Chadwell Heath

Postcode:
RM6 6UB

Type of site:
Public Park

Date(s):
1930s

Designer(s):

Listed structures:
None

Borough:
Barking & Dagenham

Site ownership:
LB Barking & Dagenham

Site management:
Parks & Countryside Ranger Service; Park Friends Group

Open to public?
Yes

Opening times:
7.15am - dusk

Special conditions:

Facilities:
2 children's play areas, football pitch, cricket table, 4 tennis courts, 2 bowling greens

Events:

Public transport:
Rail: Chadwell Heath. Bus: 62, 86, 173.

Citymapper
Citymapper

The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2002
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.barking-dagenham.gov.uk

Further Information

Grid ref:
TQ479882 (547822,188374)

Size in hectares:
14.24

Green Flag:
No

On EH National Register :
No

EH grade:
None

Site on EH Heritage at Risk list:
No

Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:
Yes: Green (TVG76 - part of park)

Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:
No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No

In Conservation Area:
No

Tree Preservation Order:
No

Nature Conservation Area:
Yes - Local Importance

Green Belt:
No

Metropolitan Open Land:
No

Special Policy Area:
No

Other LA designation:
Protected Open Space; Schedule B Site

St Chad's Park

St Chad's Park, Bowling Green, November 1999. Photo: S Williams

Click photo to enlarge.

Fuller information

The roots of Chadwell Heath are pre-Christian - its symbol was the Kaadman or Goodman, a pagan deity representing 'the generative and conceptive principle of life and heat'. Christian priests later replaced the story of the old god with that of St Chad who has been described as 'a tireless Christian pioneer in the Essex area in Saxon times'.

St Chad's Park is located on a number of older sites: part of the land comprising the park was formerly Forest Field, which came into being after a license to fell ‘Tallents Grove’ in Hainault Forest was issued in 1755. It also incorporates Tanteny (a corruption of St Anthony) Grove and Chadwell Common/Heath. St Chad’s Park originated in 1831 when 4 acres of the ancient Chadwell Heath were granted by the Crown to the old Parish Council as allotments for the poor; a further 3 acres were set aside for public use in 1866 as part of the compensation to the parish when Chadwell Heath was enclosed. This area of the park is Registered Village Green. The Council added 34 acres by buying part of Blackbush Farm in 1928. Chadwell Heath developed rapidly as a residential area after World War I. In the 1930s the northern area of the park was laid out as public open space, with the southern part containing tennis courts, putting green, formal planting and paths. Additions to the park facilities accrued over the years, including the opening of a new children’s playground in the south-west corner and new golf course in 1955; a new bowling green was inaugurated in May 1956. A photograph of 1952 records an Indian Bean Tree in the park. Playing fields, pavilion c.1960, bowling green and tennis courts. There is an alley of planes lining main path through the park, hedges.

Sources consulted:

Book of Dagenham p. 90; Dagenham Digest July 1951, March 1955, March 1958; Brief History of Barking and Dagenham; Don Hewson, Chadwell Heath and the Road to Romford Market, Alan Sutton Publishing Ltd, 1995

Page Top

Discover. Visit. Research. Explore.