|Husseywell Open Space and The Knoll||Bromley|
Both Husseywell Open Space and The Knoll were formerly part of the estate of Hayes Place, and probably established as parkland c.1755; by 1767 what is now Husseywell Open Space and pond were well established. The 1st edition OS Map of 1871 shows the area as farmland. When the Hayes Place Estate began to be developed for housing in the 1930s, local Cllr Percy Jones argued for some land to remain public open space, which eventually resulted in the creation of Husseywell Recreation Ground and The Knoll.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/12/2006
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.bromley.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Husseywell is named after Revd Dr Hussey, Rector of Hayes from 1831-54; Dr Hussey's Well is still visible in the wall of No. 7 Pickhurst Lane. Husseywell Open Space is situated to the north of The Knoll from which it is separated by Pickhurst Lane. Its southern end is dominated by an oval piece of water fed from the stream that runs through the ponds in The Knoll. Yew trees mark the northern edge of this pond and the island in the centre appears to have been constructed from the outset. To the east of the pond the ground rises and is more open in aspect with grass and ornamental trees. There are two entrances in Husseywell Crescent and the site is enclosed with chain link fencing and some hedges; a tarmac path provides access around the site. A playground with equipment for younger children is situated to the west of the site. The Knoll has ornamental planting and specimen forest trees, and the series of ponds, probably created in c.1771. The occupants of Hayes Place reportedly used one of the ponds as a private swimming pool. During WWII the site housed a large air raid shelter, which was built at the Ridgeway end of the park. There are two entrances, one in Pickhurst Lane and one in Ridgeway. 2006: LB Bromley improvement plans.
An A to Z of Bromley's Parks, Local Open Space & Woodlands, LB Bromley, ?2007