|Noble Street Gardens||City of London|
Noble Street Gardens is a sunken garden made post-WWII adjacent to the Plaisterers' Hall. The area suffered heavy bomb damage in WWII and the excavated garden contains remains of the old Roman Wall. The Worshipful Company of Plaisterers was incorporated in 1501 and its original hall was built in 1556 in Addle Hill off Carter Lane, rebuilt after the Great Fire of 1666 and then again in 1882 after another fire. The hall here dates from 1970-3, rebuilt c.2002. Noble Street is named after a C14th landowner, Thomas Noble.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/05/2010
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/openspaces
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Noble Street Gardens with Roman Wall, May 2010. Photo: S Williams
Click photo to enlarge.
Sunken garden made post-war adjacent to the Plaisterers' Hall, built in 1970-3, rebuilt c.2002. Noble Street is named after a C14th landowner, Thomas Noble; properties here suffered heavy bomb damage in World War II and the garden is an excavated site within which are remains of the old Roman Wall. The garden was laid out with grass, seating, and some planting, with creepers growing over the remains of the Roman wall; the Plaisterers' Hall formerly opened onto the north part of the garden, with balustrading surmounted by urns at intervals along the boundary with the former hall, now demolished. The south part of the garden had some public access. The Worshipful Company of Plaisterers was incorporated in 1501 and its original hall was built in 1556 in Addle Hill off Carter Lane, rebuilt first after the Great Fire of 1666 and then in 1882 after another fire.
A. Saunders, 'The Art and Architecture of London', London, 1984; B Plummer and D Shewan, 'City Gardens', London, 1992; Simon Bradley & Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England, London 1: The City of London', 1997 (1999 ed.).