Formerly part of the parkland belonging to the Coombe Estate, Lloyd Park was given to Croydon Corporation in memory of Frank Lloyd (d.1927). Lloyd, a newspaper proprietor, had lived at Coombe House and formed the idea of presenting some of his land to the borough for public playing fields. After his death the land passed to his daughter, who made the gift in accordance with her father’s wishes and to provide a memorial to him. Although damaged by the storms of 1987 and largely playing fields, much of the old parkland is still recognisable.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/12/2008
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.croydon.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Formerly part of the parkland belonging to the Coombe Estate, the land now known as Lloyd Park was given to the Corporation of Croydon in memory of Frank Lloyd (d.1927). When the New Addington branch of the Croydon Tramlink was being constructed in 1997, excavations carried out in Lloyd Park by the Oxford Archaeological Unit uncovered several ditches associated with Roman settlement and a cremation burial. Coombe is first recorded in 1221 when the land belonged to Richard of Coombe; in the C15th it was called the Borough of Coombe and by Elizabeth I's reign it was known as Broad Coombe. In the C17th the estate was owned by Matthew and Daniel Harvey, brothers of William Harvey who demonstrated the circulation of blood. William frequently stayed at Coombe and had caves made in the grounds in order to gratify his habit of meditating in the dark. Frank Lloyd, a newspaper proprietor had lived at Coombe House (now Geoffrey Harris House q.v.) since 1892, and had the idea of presenting some of his land to the Corporation as playing fields, and prepared a plan for this before he died.
After his death the land passed to his daughter, Mrs J R Garwood, and she decided to make a gift of the land and so carry out her father’s wishes and in addition provide a memorial to him. Although severely damaged by the storms of 1987 and the predominance of playing fields, much of the parkland is still recognisable. This includes clumps of beech on the high point of the park and vestigial belts. One of the fields which make up the park, Chalk Pit Field, contained a chalk pit, which was still visible in the 1940s but was filled in and levelled in the early 1950s. There are at least two bomb craters dating from WWII that are still visible. A sports pavilion was built in 1963 and in 1969 a children’s playground was opened. The playground featured a long slide which went down into one of the old chalk pits. A new sports pavillion and a head house is under construction (2008), for a tunnel for National Grid located near the Lloyd Park tramstop at Coombe Road.
MA Winterman, Croydon's parks: an illustrated history (LB Croydon, 1988) pp54/5; LB Croydon, 'Local List of Historic Parks & Gardens', December 2008