Enfield UDC purchased 62 acres of farmland owned by Archdeacon Potter and opened Hilly Fields as a public park in 1911. In 1921 a wooden bandstand was built and was a popular attraction but later became derelict. It was restored in 2001 by the Friends of Hillyfields. There are many mature trees in the park, including large pollarded trees and numerous oaks scattered over rough grassland, mainly old field boundary trees and the northern boundary is formed by the Turkey Brook.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2011
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.enfield.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Click photo to enlarge.
Enfield Urban District Council purchased 62 acres of farmland owned by Archdeacon Potter and opened Hilly Fields as a public park in 1911, as part of their policy of acquiring land for public open space as the area was being developed for housing. A bandstand was provided to the east of the park in 1921 and was a popular attraction, at August Bank Holiday in 1927 attracting an audience of nearly 5,000 but later became derelict. The Friends of Hillyfields was set up in 1998 with the aim of restoring the bandstand, raising funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund and restoration was completed in 2001.
Hillyfields has been described as 'one of the most interesting grassland areas in the borough' and the Council continues to strive to maintain its diversity. There are many mature trees, including large old pollarded trees and numerous oaks scattered over rough grassland, mainly old field boundary trees, but possibly augmented with an ornamental element; those near bandstand roughly aligned east-west, although no sign of related earthworks. The northern boundary is formed by the Turkey Brook, which rises at Potters Bar, and is dotted with hornbeam and scrub trees. Towards the east end of the park, at the top of a slope planted with trees that include oaks and conifers, the park's suburban surroundings are more in evidence, overlooked by St Luke the Evangelist Church opposite in Phipps Hatch Lane. At the bottom of this slope, towards Clay Hill, the restored bandstand is an incongruous but quite picturesque sight. The London Loop runs through the park.
Victoria County History; local history leaflets; Hillyfields leaflet, LB Enfield Parks Business Unit (2001/2)