Heston Park was formally opened on 10 June 1933 by the Mayor of Heston and Isleworth, the fourth park to be opened since the new Borough Council replaced the Urban District Council in 1932. It was on the site of Heston Recreation Ground, which had long been used for Hounslow May Fair, granted a Royal charter in 1296; a site within the new park was reserved for the Fair.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2005
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.hounslow.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The opening of Heston Park was celebrated with dancing around the maypole, a netball match, tap dancing and country dancing, and the opening speeches expressed the hope that the park's 'floral and topiarian displays will prove a source of enjoyment'. The Heston & Isleworth Charter Celebrations Souvenir Programme, 1932, are illustrated with photographs of Heston Park's Rose Gardens, Bowling Green and Bandstand. The cost of formally laying out the park was £12,900 and it was provided with 2 football pitches, a cricket table, a 'sea-washed turf' bowling green, 2 grass and 6 hard tennis courts and an 18-hole putting green, as well as a children's playground, and a pavilion with a paved approach and terrace. A new sports pavilion was added and an extension to the pavilion in 1936, the latter damaged by fire in 1988. The bowling green is now disused and some of the original tennis courts have been converted to a multi-sports area.
Souvenir Opening Programme, 10 June 1933; Heston and Isleworth Charter Celebrations Souvenir Programme, 3-8 October 1932