|Pinner New Cemetery||Harrow|
Pinner New Cemetery was dedicated on 13 May 1933, and was laid out to designs by Borough Architect, S W Richardson. Its entrance is elegantly set back from the road and has stone gate piers, wrought iron gates with lanterns, and a gothic lodge. The axial drive to the chapel is lined with horse chestnut trees and, unusually, deciduous planting strongly predominates in the cemetery. There are a small number of oak trees that pre-date the cemetery and much planting of birch, cypress, sycamore, cherry and hawthorn. Among the monuments there is a notable red granite armchair grave of Susan Dunford, who 'left her chair vacant' in 1954.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/12/2011
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.harrow.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The cemetery is situated just to the north of the colonial style white and green-roofed development of Capel Gardens and Pinner Court built in the 1930s. To the front are Boulevard Gardens (q.v.), two areas of public gardens either side of the cemetery entrance, laid out with a low retaining wall to the pavement and backed by shrubs to the private housing behind.
Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008); Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (Penguin, 1999 ed) p284