|King George's Playing Field||Havering|
King George's Playing Field was originally known as Mawney Park, named after the old manor of Mawneys. As Romford expanded, the Mawneys estate was sold for housing development in 1883 although the land here remained as fields, then partly allotment gardens, until 1928 when it was acquired and laid out as a recreation ground. Later Romford Borough Council received funding of £3,000 from the King George's Fields Foundation, and as a consequence it was renamed King George's Playing Field. It remains a triangular site, its boundaries little changed from those of the old fields, although the southern boundary is now the Eastern Avenue. The River Rom forms the easterly boundary of the park.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/09/2010
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.havering.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
King George's Playing Field was originally known as Mawney Park, acquired and laid out as a recreation ground in 1928, infilled with rubble from the Blitz. Prior to that time the land to the east of Mawney Road was fields in the Manor of Mawneys, which originated in 1200 when King John leased 'the wood at Romford' to the Earl of Norfolk for a rent of 5 shillings a year. From 1280 it was known as the Manor of Romford, the name Mawneys dating from the C14th when the then 140-acre estate was owned by Lord Walter de Mauny. The moated manor house, called Mawneys or Great Mawneys, was located on Mawney Road, north of Romford High Street but was eventually demolished in 1935. In 1758 the Newman family owned the Mawneys estate, and in 1781 the manor of Nelmes in Hornchurch was acquired, and both estates remained in the family until 1883. By that time the Mawneys estate comprised 265 acres, with Forest Road forming the north boundary and Marks Road the south. By this time the town of Romford was expanding and the whole estate owned by the Newmans was sold for housing development. Maps of Essex of 1871 and 1896/7 show the future park site as fields, and by 1921 allotment gardens are shown on part of the site, by which time the area to the west of Mawney Road was built over with houses. Mawney Road itself is marked as an existing route on late C19th maps. The River Rom runs through the park, forming the easterly boundary of the triangular site, which on the OS map of 1938 is shown as Mawney Park. Later funding was received through the King George's Fields Foundation.
The Foundation, set up as a memorial following the King's death in 1936, provided funding for the creation or improvement of a great many playing fields before it was dissolved in 1965. The Map of Essex of 1939 shows the change of name from Mawney Park to King George's Playing Field. The Eastern Avenue now forms the southern boundary of the park. Since 2005 new facilities have been provided, including a children's playsite, multi-use ball court and outdoor gym equipment.
John Drury, 'Treasures of Havering' (Ian Henry Publications, 1998), p83; 'History of the King George's Fields Foundation' and other information on www.fieldsintrust.org