|Deptford Memorial Gardens||Lewisham|
Deptford Memorial Gardens comprise three strips of formal gardens laid out on raised ground between the main road on the south side and a row of mid-C19th paired houses. At the northern end is the WWI war memorial, a Portland stone obelisk with figures of a soldier and sailor, which was unveiled in 1921. Today the gardens form a strip of lawn within which is a series of circular, rectangular or oval flower beds with seasonal displays. A path runs through the gardens and there are a number of seats. Yew hedges and shrubbery border the garden to the south and there are a number of ornamental trees, as well as lime and horse chestnuts. The border to Lewisham Way has a scalloped retaining wall.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/05/2011
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.lewisham.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The Memorial Gardens were laid out shortly after the WWI war memorial at the north/west was unveiled on 7 July 1921 by Major-General Sir Charles Townsend KCB, CB, DSO, MP and dedicated by the Bishop of Southwark. Designed by William Richards, it consists of a Portland stone obelisk 23 feet in height surmounted by a flaming torch, with life-size figures of a soldier and a sailor in battle dress. The inscription reads: 'Deptford's Tribute to Her Gallant Sons Who Were Faithful Unto Death 1914-1918' with the dates 1939-1945 added in commemoration of WWII. At the south/east end is a wooden board with the inscription 'Borough of Deptford Memorial Gardens'. In 1928 there appear to have been four enclosures, described in the Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares as 'flanked on one side by Lewisham High Road (south side) and on the other by public roadway leading to a number of dwelling houses. Enclosed by low walls and planted with trees and shrubs.' At that time the gardens were owned and maintained by Deptford Borough Council with a small portion owned and maintained by the LCC.
Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares, 1928; West Kent Argus, July 8 1921; West Kent Argus Friday, July 8 1921; Brockley Conservation Area Character Appraisal, LB Lewisham, 2005; London Borough of Lewisham War Memorial Wiki at (http://lewishamwarmemorials.wikidot.com