|Margaret McMillan Park||Lewisham|
The park is named after Margaret McMillan who with her sister Rachel McMillan were pioneers of nursery education. Margaret McMillan Park opened in 1954 and was originally laid out between Watson's Street and Glenville Grove with a series of lawns along Douglas Way. In the late 1980s part of the park was eroded by housing development and in 1998 improvements were carried out to the park, including a bridge by sculptor John Maine. In 2009 the park was redesigned and re-landscaped as part of Route 1 of the North Lewisham Links project, the works completed in 2010.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.lewisham.gov.uk/inmyarea/openspaces/parks/Pages/margaret-mcmillan-park
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Margaret McMillan established a nursery school in Deptford and she and her sister Rachel lived at 127 George Lane in Hither Green between 1910 and 1913. Margaret later founded a training college for nursery teachers, named after Rachel. They believed that early years' education could counter some of the effects of poverty. There is a memorial to Margaret McMillan at Rachel McMillan Nursery School in McMillan Street (LBII). Improvements to the park in 1998 included a playground, toilets, and signage, the work undertaken by LB Lewisham in partnership with The Prince's Trust Volunteers. A sculptural feature in the form of a stone bridge, with planting executed with members of the local community, was created by sculptor John Maine RA, at that time Artist in Residence with the design team for Lewisham Town Centre. The improvements to Margaret McMillan Park were completed in 2010 and included removing larger shrubs, straightening the main footpath through the park and new lighting, in order to improve visibility and safety; new paths and seating have been provided, upgrading of the children's play area, as well as wooden sculptures and posts. The park's redesign has won awards including a Civic Trust Award in 2010 for Community Recognition and an award for the Best New Urban Space at the London Planning Awards in 2012.
Ben Weinreb & Christopher Hibbert, 'The London Encyclopaedia' (Macmillan, revised ed. 1993); Document for Glendale/LB Lewisham Parks Conference 11 March 2000