|Seven Kings Park||Redbridge|
The Seven Kings area had developed rapidly after the Great Eastern Railway opened the station here. Originally called Seven Kings and Goodmayes Recreation Ground, the park was opened in 1902, laid out on land donated to the borough in 1900 by A. Cameron Corbett, who developed much of Ilford and later became Lord Rowallan. The house of Downshall Farm was demolished to make way for the park and the surrounding estate was developed c.1914. Among facilities provided in Seven Kings Park were an ornate bandstand and bowling green, both of which remain, together with formal planting in a symmetrical layout of beds, largely roses, some trees and shrubs.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/09/2010
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.redbridge.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Seven Kings Park is a municipal park formed on the banks of the Seven Kings Water on 3.6 hectares of land donated to the borough in 1900 by A. Cameron Corbett, the Glasgow MP and developer, who developed much of Ilford, and later became Lord Rowallan. The park opened in 1902. The Seven Kings area developed quickly when the railway arrived and Great Eastern Railway opened the station. The house of Downshall Farm was demolished to make way for the park. The surrounding estate was developed c.1914. Seven Kings Park is a large flat park with walks lined with regular rows of ash, hawthorn and cherry (c.1930). Among facilities were a bandstand and bowling green, with formal planting consisting of a symmetrical layout of beds, largely roses, some trees and shrubs. The park today has notable robinia, birch, poplar and lime trees; rose garden; bowling green; pavilions and sport pitches. It is adjacent to Goodmayes Hospital (q.v.) and Ford's Sports Ground.
Alan A Jackson, 'Semi-detached London' (Wild Swan, 2nd ed. 1991); Ilford Past and Present; Victoria County History