The Shrubberies, a terrace of six identical pairs of houses with a detached house at the east end, was built in the late C19th and remain fronted by the original strip of landscaping, laid out as a setting to the terrace. Built as a speculative residential development when the area was becoming built up following arrival of the railway, these simple Edwardian-style houses retain most of their original features. The garden strip is laid out with grass, some flower beds and a few trees, including a row of limes, and is bordered by wooden bollards.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/09/2006
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.redbridge.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The area had been largely woodland before it was enclosed in the C18th, and even when the Eastern Counties Railway was constructed here, with George Lane Station opening in 1856, development in this area of South Woodford took place only gradually from the 1860s. Where The Shrubberies is located was still largely woodland or fields until the end of the 1890s when suburban development accelerated. Prior to the building of The Shrubberies, there were a few small buildings to the north of George Lane, and opposite a Congressional Chapel.
The detached house at the east end of The Shrubberies was built for Dr A W Dowding of Wanstead as his home and doctor's surgery, the architect being Herbert Riches, and there are plans for the house dated 1897. Plans for the other houses in the terrace date from 1899 and 1901, and these were built speculatively as residential dwellings, although they are now occupied by offices. These Edwardian-style houses retain most of their original features intact, such as cast iron verandas, while much of the surrounding area has lost its original character, with new buildings replacing those of the early suburb.
The strip of landscaping that was laid out as a setting to the terrace is presently planted with flower beds and a few trees, including a row of limes. Concrete post and chain forms the perimeter fence, and there is some seating.
LB Redbridge Planning & Regeneration Services 'George Lane Conservation Area Draft Conservation Area Appraisal, 2008