|Wanstead Flats and Bush Wood *||Redbridge|
* on The National Heritage List for England, Parks & Gardens
Wanstead Flats is at the most southerly part of Epping Forest and was saved from development as part of the forest in 1878. Known as Wanstead Heath in the early C17th, it has been used for grazing cattle and sheep since the C12th, a practice that continued up until 1996. Wanstead Flats encompasses a number of areas all now managed as part of Epping Forest, including Manor Park Flats, Bush Wood Flats, Bush Wood and Bush Wood North, the latter having remnants of the C18th landscaping of Wanstead Park.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/08/2010
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.cityoflondon.gov.uk; www.wansteadpark.org.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Wanstead Park, including Wanstead Park, Wanstead Golf Course, Blake Hall Sports Grounds, Bushwood and Wanstead Flats west of Lake House Road: Site on The National Heritage List for England, Parks & Gardens, for Register Entry for Wanstead Park see https://www.historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list
The majority of the Wanstead Flats site is in Redbridge, a portion in Waltham Forest, with a small part in Newham. The site forms the most southerly part of Epping Forest (q.v.) and was saved from development as part of the forest in 1878. In 1883 Edward Walford described the Flats: '. . 400 acres in extent, and their area was formerly overgrown with furze, heath, and a few scattered trees; but of late years its appearance has been considerably changed by the formation of brick fields etc. Early in the present century George III held a review of 10,000 troops on Wanstead Flats, and in 1874 the open portion was secured by the Government for the purposes of military drill and exercise. For very many years this locality was a familiar haunt of the gipsy tribe, and of others who follow the wandering life of that fraternity, their caravans and tents being scarcely ever absent from the borders of the Flats.'
Wanstead Flats were almost treeless from the C12th after the Abbots of Stratford were granted the right in 1199 to graze large flocks of sheep here. Known as Wanstead Heath from the early C17th, its use for grazing cattle and sheep continued up until 1996, and one day may be reinstated. Adjacent land that became Wanstead Park (q.v.) had been enclosed from the Forest as a royal hunting park in the C16th. In 1667 Sir Josiah Childs purchased the estate and in the C18th it was laid out with an extensive landscaped park and formal gardens for Wanstead House, including radiating avenues of trees such as sweet chestnut and lime, some of which survive in Bush Wood. These include 5 fine sweet chestnuts believed to be 225 years old. After Wanstead House was demolished in 1823/4 the estate lands deteriorated although it remained in private ownership; the land was let for grazing, trees felled for timber and the gardens became overgrown. The greater accessibility afforded by the development of the railways during the C19th brought visitors to Wanstead Flats as well as opening up the potential for a new residential population, and wealthy landowners increasingly encroached the common land for house building. These included Lord Tylney of Wanstead Park who attempted to enclose a large area of the Flats in 1851, but was opposed by local people who took his fences down. Again, in 1871, Viscount Wellesley tried to enclose 17 hectares of Wanstead Flats but by this time the Corporation of London had gained status as a commoner of Epping Forest due to its purchase in 1854 of forest land for its City of London Cemetery (q.v.). The Corporation began legal actions against Wellesley and other Lords of the various manors who had enclosed parts of the Forest and the success of these court cases eventually led to the passing of the 1878 Epping Forest Act preventing further enclosure of the Forest. Although the common rights to pollarding ceased, cattle grazing rights continued. Under the auspices of the Open Spaces Act of 1878 the Corporation was also able to purchase land within 25 miles of London in order to protect it for public open space.
In 1886/7 Wanstead Flats were drained, levelled, planted with grass and 40,000 trees to provide features and some shelter. Plane trees were planted along Centre Road by 1890 and by the end of the century 5 circular plantations of trees including beech, oak, red oak and hornbeam were planted. In the early C20th unemployed local men were brought in to dig out the ponds, leading to the creation of Alexandra Lake and Bandstand Pond (formerly called Angell Pond). What became Model Yacht Pond, a small drainage pond known as Dames Road Pond or Chapel Pond, was deepened and lined with concrete but by the late 1980s interest in model boats had declined and a crack in the concrete liner led to falling water levels and the pond frequently dried up in the summer. In 1997 plans were drawn up to improve the pond and surrounding area and as a result of public consultation and the establishment of The Lakehouse Lake Project it was decided to turn it into a wildlife area. Work began in summer 2002 and it was renamed the Jubilee Pond to mark the Golden Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II.
During WWII trenches were dug to obstruct invasion and Wanstead Flats were put to various uses, including as a German POW camp, allotments, a site for anti-aircraft guns and barrage balloons, and prefab housing was built on an area to the south. In 1946 West Ham Council tried to acquire this land for permanent housing but this was opposed by local people and the Corporation, and Wanstead Flats were reinstated as public open space by 1964. An area of 11.5 hectares is designated a SSSI and Wanstead Flats is noted for its acid grassland; it is important as a breeding ground for threatened species such as the skylark, and also for uncommon and rare plants and insects. The Wanstead Flats site encompasses a number of areas all now managed as part of Epping Forest.
The remains of the estate of Wanstead Park were purchased by the Corporation of London in 1882. To the north and north-west are Bush Wood Flats (Harrow Road Playing Fields), Bush Wood and Bush Wood North, the latter having remnants of the C18th avenues of tree planted to radiate from Wanstead House. A lime avenue planted for Lake House, a property demolished in 1908, also remains in Bush Wood Flats, named Evelyn Avenue after a local botanist. To the east is Manor Park Flats where an annual gymkhana has been held for many years. The Flats have long been a site for organised sports and outdoor recreation; in 1890 the London Playing Fields Committee were granted 10 hectares for use as public football and cricket pitches, later increased to 60ha. The Wanstead Model Flying Club has operated here for many years, with a landing strip near Centre Road. The Flats have been used for numerous other events over the years, such as the Easter Fair that has taken place for over a century, and there is a designated fairground site. There are 7 lodges within the site, at Bush Wood, Harrow Road, Capel Road and Aldersbrook Road.
Ian Dowling and Nick Harris, Images of London: Wanstead and Woodford, Tempus Publishing 2003; Edward Walford, 'Village London, the Story of Greater London, Part 2 - North and East', first published 1883/4 (1985 ed., The Alderman Press) p473, 481; Alison O'Connor, Jeremy Dagley, Sally Hayns, Imogen Wilde, Sally Hopper, 'An Integrated Site Management Plan for Wanstead Flats, Epping Forest 2006-2011 (2006); Fred Wanless 'Field Guide to the Wild Flowers of Wanstead Flats' (Lakeside Lake Project, 2003). See www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corporation/LGNL_Services/Environment_and_planning/Parks_and_open