|The Crescent Garden||Westminster|
The Crescent Garden is a communal garden behind Randolph Crescent, Warrington Crescent and Randolph Avenue. Developed in the mid C19th, much of the housing had communal gardens for the use of the occupiers. Here the surrounding houses are mainly stuccoed buildings of c.1865, although some were destroyed by WWI bombing, enemy aircraft apparently mistaking the canals in the area for the Thames. Until c.1980 this area was within the Paddington Estate of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, administered by Trustees, whose plans to convert the garden into a communal car park were defeated by local residents. The Crescent Garden has lawns, fine trees, island beds including a Princess Diana Memorial bed, pergola, obelisk and children's play area. There are many mature trees, chiefly London plane.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/06/2004
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.crescentgarden.co.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Crescent Garden - Photo: Diana Jarvis
Click photo to enlarge.
The Crescent Garden has simple gravel paths, large lawns, shrubs, and many mature trees, chiefly London plane, which are visible from surrounding streets. The surrounding houses are stuccoed buildings of c.1865, although WWI bombing in the area destroyed some of the housing, which was replaced by 1920s-style houses. Enemy aircraft apparently mistook the canals in the area for the Thames.
Until c.1980 much of this area was within the Paddington Estate of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, administered by Trustees. Developed in the mid C19th, much of the housing here had communal gardens provided for the use of occupiers of the surrounding houses. Management of the garden was by a Committee of occupiers and the expenses of maintenance were assessed proportionately on each house, with the Trustees having the power to undertake maintenance in the case of neglect. When the Church Commissioners sold the freeholds of their property in the area, they drew up legal arrangements as a means of preserving the special character of these neighbourhoods, including the gardens. They set up 12 amenity companies, each having Deeds and with a Rent Charge, to cover 12 areas. In the 1970s local residents had defeated plans by the Church Commissioners to turn the garden into car parking.
Today the garden has lawns, fine trees, island beds, Princess Diana Memorial bed, pergola, obelisk and children's play area. It was recently given an award as London's best large private garden square. There are a number of other communal gardens in the neighbourhood, Formosa Gardens and The Triangle Garden (q.q.v.).
(OGSW booklets); Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (1991, reprinted 1999), p696