London Gardens Online
Record
London Gardens Online

SITE DETAILS

Paddington Recreation Ground Westminster

Summary

The site was first used for recreational purposes in 1860 when a cricket pitch was laid down by the local church. As a result of the efforts of R Melville Beachcroft, Treasurer of Paddington Cricket Club, land was purchased from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners and the Paddington Estate. In 1888/9 Paddington Recreation Ground was laid out and opened to the public, money having been raised for purchase of a larger area under an Act of 1893, which reserved at least 4 acres for general use, the rest was leased out for sports. The Paddington Recreation Act enabled the Vestry of Paddington to officially acquire the Ground to 'provide the residents with a public recreational ground'. The bandstand in the south-west corner dates from the original layout, and the Pavilion, built in 1888 was originally used as a refreshment pavilion and grandstand.

Basic Details

Site location:
off Randolph Avenue/Morshead Road, Maida Vale

Postcode:
W9 1PD ( Google Map)

Type of site:
Public Park

Date(s):
1889, redeveloped in 1989

Designer(s):
R. Melville Beachcroft, redeveloped by Ledward Macdonald

Listed structures:
None

Borough:
Westminster

Site ownership:
WCC

Site management:
Cannons Leisure Management, Vista Landscape Management.

Open to public?
Yes

Opening times:
7am - dusk

Special conditions:

Facilities:
Children's playground, toilets, café, car and coach park. Sports facilities: athletics track, bowling green, cricket ground, football and hockey pitches, basketball and netball court, tennis court, trim trail.

Events:

Public transport:
Tube: Maida Vale, Kilburn (Bakerloo). Bus: 16, 16A, 28, 31, 36, 97

The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/06/2003
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.westminster.gov.uk

Further Information

Grid ref:
TQ256829

Size in hectares:
10.93

Green Flag:
No

On EH National Register :
No

EH grade:
None

Site on EH Heritage at Risk list:
No

Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:
No

Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:
No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No

In Conservation Area:
No

Tree Preservation Order:
No

Nature Conservation Area:
Yes - Local Importance

Green Belt:
No

Metropolitan Open Land:
No

Special Policy Area:
No

Other LA designation:
None

Fuller information

The site was was first used for recreational purposes in 1860 when a cricket pitch was laid down by the local church. Paddington Recreation Ground was laid out in 1888/89, as a result of the efforts of R Melville Beachcroft, Treasurer of Paddington Cricket Club, who negotiated the land purchase with the Ecclesiastical Commissioners and the Paddington Estate. The first stage was a lease on 9 acres on which he organised a Jubilee Festival. Aided by a royal visit and a grant from the local vestry, money was raised for purchase of a larger area under an Act of 1893, which reserved at least 4a for general use. The rest was leased out for sports by a committee. The Paddington Recreation Act enabled the Vestry of Paddington to officially acquire the Ground to 'provide the residents with a public recreational ground'. In 1896 the Recreation Ground was established as a charitable trust enabling it to raise funds for any public recreational' purpose. The recreation ground was subsequently the responsibility of Paddington Borough Council. The LCC provided for other sports including running and cycling tracks. The bandstand in the south-west corner dates from the original layout, and the Pavilion, built in 1888 was originally used as a refreshment pavilion and grandstand, now used as a gym and for meeting rooms. There are notable London plane trees on Grantully Road and railings.

The landscaping in the southern part includes modern shrub borders to the circuit path and a large hedged rose garden in the southern angle, created in memory of Boy Scouts 1939-45 with a grid of paved paths. The landscape in the north is dominated by all-weather surfaces, demarcated from the southern part by a row of mature London Planes. The recreation ground was refurbished in 1987-89 by Ledward Macdonald. 2006/7: Green Flag Award (previously received award 2002/3 and 2005/6)

Sources consulted:

Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (1991, reprinted 1999); Victoria County History, Middlesex; WCC Paddington Recreation Ground Managaement Plan, 2007-2012

Page Top

Discover. Visit. Research. Explore.